forrest-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 0.6: validation issues
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:01:10 GMT
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I kind of object to "bad" being equated with "non-standard".  Forrest
> is the non-standard here, since it's a very common practice to put all
> derived/compiled/generated files somewhere under target (which
> simplifies any implementation of a clean target).

Everyone has his idea of what a standard is :-)

Our latest months have been devoted to making it possible for Forrest
not to copy anything to be able to build, and that is where our
"standard" idea comes from ATM, although we are well aware of what other
projects are used to do.

ATM the integration of other pregenerated docs in the Forrest docs is
suboptimal to say the least: it's necessary to reassemble the Forrest
docs along with pregenerated ones in a single directory (as you say
under /target, I was used to /build).

With the next release we intend to insert a 'locationmap', with which
one can mount other paths. This means that you could keep your source
files in src, and simply point Forrest to look for other build-generated
files under /target or wherever.

Would this approach suit your needs better?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -