forrest-user mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and Forrest
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:19:36 GMT
On Oct 18, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Linda Rose wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Once again, excuse my ignorance .... but how exactly do you use
>> OpenOffice
>> files as source files for Forrest? Do you save it as a .sxw file? I
>> thought
>> it had to be an xml file? Can someone point me to step-by-step
>> instructions
>> for using OpenOffice files with Forrest?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Linda
>
> You are correct. Forrest takes *.sxw files and can generate a web site
> off of that with a few important caveats explained on the OpenOffice
> Writer page[1]:
> - embedded images won't work--they must be linked to:
>   src/documentation/resources/images/*.jpg|*.gif|*.png
>
>   I, Ross and others hope to resolve this with an improved
> OpenOffice.org
>   writer XSL file, but I don't know how long that will take:
>
> src/core/context/resources/stylesheets/aggregates/openoffice-
> writer.xsl
>
> - your documents need to be built from the openoffice-writer.sxw
>   file, which you 'obtain' via running 'forrest seed' on an empty
>   directory from the command line. From my experience, starting
>   from a 'blank' document yields unpredictable results. Here's the
>   path to the file after doing a /forrest seed/:
>
>   src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/openoffice-writer.sxw

BTW, the reason why you need to start from this particular
openoffice-writer.sxw file, is that OpenOffice.org has a bug which does
not properly carry style information. In particular, if you open the
openoffice-writer.sxw file, and delete the Heading 3 Style, then save
the file, the Heading 3 style will not exist the next time you open the
file. It's frustrating and I'm not clear on a workaround. Search the
archives for more info.

> [1]
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/oowriter.html
>
> Web Maestro Clay