forrest-user mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and Forrest
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:10:48 GMT
On Oct 18, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Linda Rose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once again, excuse my ignorance .... but how exactly do you use
> OpenOffice
> files as source files for Forrest? Do you save it as a .sxw file? I
> thought
> it had to be an xml file? Can someone point me to step-by-step
> instructions
> for using OpenOffice files with Forrest?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Linda

You are correct. Forrest takes *.sxw files and can generate a web site
off of that with a few important caveats explained on the OpenOffice
Writer page[1]:
- embedded images won't work--they must be linked to:
   src/documentation/resources/images/*.jpg|*.gif|*.png

   I, Ross and others hope to resolve this with an improved
OpenOffice.org
   writer XSL file, but I don't know how long that will take:

src/core/context/resources/stylesheets/aggregates/openoffice-writer.xsl

- your documents need to be built from the openoffice-writer.sxw
   file, which you 'obtain' via running 'forrest seed' on an empty
   directory from the command line. From my experience, starting
   from a 'blank' document yields unpredictable results. Here's the
   path to the file after doing a /forrest seed/:

   src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples/openoffice-writer.sxw

[1]
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/oowriter.html

Web Maestro Clay
--