forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: non english languages
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:18:22 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Johannes Schaefer wrote:

>>>We had this problem, too, with German Umlauts: äöüß.
>>>Solution was to put the encoding in:
>>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>>  gives the special characters but they are ugly two byte
>>>  sequences
>>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>>>  shows the special characters nicely in the source
>>>I don't know which one is better from a technical/forrest
>>>point of view.
>>>
>>>Boa sorte com isso!
>>>Johannes
>>
>>Afterthought: this might be worth mentioning in the FAQ.
>

> Yes. Does someone have an authoritative URL that we can
> refer to about this common topic?
>
> As to Forrest's requirements, it will process documents
> that are standard XML instances with the proper encoding.
> So do it whichever way, as long as it is legitimate xml.

I believe this depends on which language you're using,
so it might be different for German/Spanish/Latin and
Greek or Russian ... UTF-8 might work for all but it
may be difficult to read (let alone type!).

OK. I'm not an expert here. I Digged into the web and
found that UTF-8 is a special encoding of UNICODE.

The chars for Unicode may be found here:
   http://www.unicode.org/charts/
and a FAQ here:  http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html

Other sources about charachter encoding (for HTML)include e.g.
   http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html
   http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html

So, may be someone with a profound understanding may
give us better advice on which encoding to use ...

Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de