forrest-user mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Question from a newbie
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:35:01 GMT
On Oct 15, 2004, at 2:24 PM, Linda Rose wrote:
> I'm new to this group ... apologies in advance if this is a stupid
> question.
> I've just started looking at Forrest (at the suggestion of a
> programmer). My
> background is in commercial software documentation, where we used
> Framemaker
> to create online and print software documentation. I've recently
> changed
> positions to one in a University, where I'm looking at Forrest to do
> documentation.
>
> My questions are: what tool do you use to author your content in? Can
> I use
> XML output from Framemaker?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Linda

I don't know if Framemaker exports would work. They may, I just don't
know.

I'm not a FORREST committer (i.e., I'm not an expert), but if you
download FORREST and get it running, you should be able to do:

   forrest seed

which will generate a Forrest site. Then do a:

   open build/site/index.html

to open it in a browser. Once you've done that, you can see what the
site looks like. Then you should be able to do a:

   cd src/documentation/content/xdocs

to change to the source XML directory. From there, "samples/" contains
a bunch of sample files you can look at. Included in there is an
example of an OpenOffice.org1.1.2 file[1] which we are beginning to use
to generate online documentation. In fact, I believe that particular
file itself was generated from an OpenOffice.org Writer (.sxw)
document.

[1]
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/oowriter.html

Web Maestro Clay