forrest-user mailing list archives

From Vincent Bray <v.b...@cobwebinfo.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Display document history inline w/ subversion
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:33:32 GMT
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 16:05, peter.dykstra@donovandata.com wrote:
> Sorry if this is obvious and basic, but not knowing subversion I'm not
> sure what the listing below is demonstrating re/ how would Forrest
> point to a document that's in Subversion.
More likely I'm just not explaining myself well enough.

> eg can a link in site.xml link directly to a document in Subversion?
no.
>   Or are the docs living in the xdocs directory?
yes.

> (The solution referenced by the link below covers how to publish the
> version comments assuming they exists in a Forrest document, which is
> useful, but doesn't deal with reading the xml file from Subversion
> along with the change comments, which is my area of ignorance.)

Ok. Perhaps I need to think this one through some more. I use Subversion
to store (and version control, funnily enough) my src/documentation
tree. When I get done authoring (read: ranting) I commit my changes with
a log message describing that set of changes.
* I'd like to see those log messages somewhere in the documents
generated by Forrest. *
Ideally, the choice of publishing method (forrest site, forrest run
etc.) would be orthogonal to the presence of the generated change-log.
Also, whether the documents to be rendered exist in a working copy or in
the repository only should also be irrelevant. To be honest, I don't
even know how to get Forrest to read source documents from the
repository anyway.

Hope this is clearer, noodl