forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgrade to 0.6: validation issues
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:11:21 GMT
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade to forrest 0.6.
>
> First off; I had to change all my v1.2 DTD to v1.3, i.e.
>
> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.2//EN"

> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.3//EN"
>

> I would have through Forrest 0.6 would have been gracious enough to
> support v1.2?

Whoa, steady on. Don't leap to conclusions. We would not do that.

If you look at Forrest's own documentation you would see
than many of our docs still use v1.2

> Perhaps it is related to my second problem:
>
> Doesn't seem to be recognizing/using local catalogs and DTDs.

You would have done better to start with that simple statement.

> Thus I have to set my system identifier to
> 	"http://xml.apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v13.dtd"
> for validation to work ... and validation is slow!

Of course. You now have network overheads.

> [...]
> Settings\Howard\forrest.properties
>      [echo] Loading default properties from
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\ext-package\apache-forrest-0.6\src\core\context\default-forrest.properties
>
> echo-settings:
>      [echo]       ------------------------------------------------
>      [echo]       | Forrest template run.
>      [echo]       | Running from ${forrest.home} =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\ext-package\apache-forrest-0.6\src\core
>      [echo]       | Working on   ${project.home} = C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind
>      [echo]       ------------------------------------------------
>      [echo]       | //where to put the result
>      [echo]       | project.site-dir    =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind/target/docs
>      [echo]       | //uri to start crawling/generation process
>      [echo]       | project.start-uri   = linkmap.html
>      [echo]       | //cocoon cli.xconf location
>      [echo]       | project.configfile  =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\ext-package\apache-forrest-0.6\src\core/context/WEB-INF/cli.xconf
>      [echo]       | //logkit.xconf location
>      [echo]       | project.logkitfile  =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\ext-package\apache-forrest-0.6\src\core/context/WEB-INF/logkit.xconf
>      [echo]       | //temp dir to throw stuff in (i.e. work and ctxt)
>      [echo]       | project.temp-dir    = target/forrest
>      [echo]       | //temp working directory for generation process
>      [echo]       | project.cocoon-work-dir    =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\target\forrest\cocoon-work
>      [echo]       | //temp context directory for generation process
>      [echo]       | project.webapp    =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\target\forrest\webapp
>      [echo]       | //debuglevel for logging (DEBUG, INFO, WARN,
> ERROR, FATAL_ERROR)
>      [echo]       | project.debuglevel  = DEBUG
>      [echo]       | //file for list of broken links
>      [echo]       | project.brokenlinkfile =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\target\forrest\brokenlinks.xml
>      [echo]       | //check if you have tools.jar installed
>      [echo]       | tools.jar.present   = true
>      [echo]       ------------------------------------------------
>      [echo]       | The following properties could be removed from
> future builds:
>      [echo]       | //which skin to apply
>      [echo]       | project.skin        = pelt
>      [echo]       | //where your documentation xml is
>      [echo]       | project.content-dir =
> C:\workspace\jakarta-hivemind\target\forrest-composite
>      [echo]       ------------------------------------------------
>
> check-skin:
>
> fetch-skins-descriptors:
>
> fetch-skin:
>
> unpack-skins:
>
> init-skins:
>
> init:
>
> -prepare-classpath:
>
> check-contentdir:
>
> examine-proj:
>
> validation-props:
>
> validate-xdocs:
> Warning: catalogpath listing external catalogs will be ignored

I think that this is because you are using your own version
of Ant to do Forrest's work. If you call 'forrest' with its
own shell script, then it uses its own packaged Ant and the
supporting catalog entity resolver. Because you are using your
own Ant you need to supply the entity resolver. I still need
to experiment with this myself, but try copying
forrest/lib/xml-commons-resolver-1.1.jar $ANT_HOME/lib

--
David Crossley