forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: non english languages
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:53:36 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:

> OK. I'm not an expert here. I Digged into the web and
> found that UTF-8 is a special encoding of UNICODE.
>
> The chars for Unicode may be found here:
>    http://www.unicode.org/charts/
> and a FAQ here:  http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html
>
> Other sources about charachter encoding (for HTML)include e.g.
>    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist.html
>    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.html
>
> So, may be someone with a profound understanding may
> give us better advice on which encoding to use ...

While skimming the blogs of people from the recent
Cocoon GetTogether i found that there was a topic about
this issue. Bertrand summarised the talk ...
http://codeconsult.ch/bertrand/archives/000391.html
<quote>
Lots of interesting points on how to handle this properly, including
* Being careful about HTTP headers matching charset definitions in html
elements.
* Using UTF-8 encoding as the only one that is found everywhere.
* Alan Wood's Unicode resources. http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/
</quote>

--
David Crossley