forrest-user mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: forrest run and syntax
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:10:39 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 08:41, Thomas Roth wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I've just encountered an error that makes life really hard: whatever is
>>running when I do 'forrest run', isn't checking the syntax as thoroughly
>>as 'forrest': I wrote a table with cells containing 'valign' and
>>'align': no problem for 'forrest run', invalid xml for  'forrest'
>>That's not nice, I don't want to wait  hours for every dot I add to my
>>webpages  :-(
>

> Re-using the answer that was recently sent to the dev list.
> Perhaps this deserves an FAQ ...
>
> I do 'forrest run' in one window and use 'forrest validate'
> in another window. Actually i often use 'xmllint' to validate
> just the xdoc that i am working on. That gives much faster
> turnaround.

Yes, we should definitely promote using XML validators/editors instead
of relying on forrest to do the validation.

It seems that the goal of Forrest validation is to make sure all the
input is clean enough to work with, not to help you write valid documents.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming