forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen Schaub" <ssch...@bju.edu>
Subject Re: PDFs only for certain pages (Was: A simple question)
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:16:24 GMT
>>>Ok. I solved my problem. For pages that I do not want to convert in PDF
>>>I will use ehtml file. It is ok for me.
>>>I noticed this file format is deprecated. Why?
>>
>> It is deprecated because it is only convertable to HTML.  We suggest that

> So maybe we should keep it around for that purpose.
> WDYT?

Forrest needs a good mechanism for specifying a subset of pages to convert
to PDF. I suggest that, rather than relying on ad-hoc approaches (like using
ehtml), we explore something like this (hypothetical section of a site.xml):

<about label="About" >
    <home label="Home" href="index.html" />
    <vision label="NextGen Vision" href="vision.html"   />
    <ranking label="Ranking" href="ranking.html" />

    <printout label="Printout" href="printout.pdf" pdfonly="true">
      <pdf_overview label="Overview">
          <pdf_vision label="NextGen Vision" href="vision.html"   />
 <pdf_ranking label="Ranking" href="ranking.html" />
      </pdf_overview>
      <pdf_usecases label="Use cases" href="usecases/" >
        <pdf_uc_summary label="Summary" href="index.html" />
        <pdf_process_sale label="Process Sale" href="process_sale.html" />
        <pdf_handle_returns label="Handle Returns"
href="handle_returns.html" />
        <pdf_submit_solution label="Submit Solution"
href="submit_solution.html" />
      </pdf_usecases>
    </printout>
</about>

Notice the <printout> element with attribute pdfonly="true". This defines a
set of project documents to include in a pdf named printout.pdf. Unlike the
current "pdf-tab" approach, the children of the <printout> element would not
appear in the menu.

This approach would allow me to specify not only which documents to include
in a PDF, but also the ordering and structure of the documents.

Thoughts?

Stephen