forrest-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking for someone to help with skins, stylesheets
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:03:42 GMT
Charles Palmer wrote:
> team
>
> I've just started with Forrest, and it looks promising for my task of
> generating technical manuals for our products to publish as HTML and as
> PDF. I am happy enough that I can come to terms with generating the
> content and navigation, but I'm not so happy with the prospect of the
> learning curve associated with XSLTs for getting professional-looking
> output, especially for the PDFs.
>
> Are there experts amongst you who we could pay to create the necessary
> skin and .xsl files?

Usually professional skins for Forrest require two skills: designer and
programmer. I'd be happy to do the programming part, but I don't have
the graphical skills I'm afraid.

> I'd be happy to contribute it back to the project when it's done.

This is excellent.

> If that doesn't turn up results for me, then are there recommendations
> for where to look to get up to speed quickly? In particular:
>
> 1    How to make the best choice between DocBook, SDocbook, Forrest formats?

Go with the forrest format, version 2.0, it's the easiest.

> 2    Modifying document2fo.xsl to modify the PDF output (fonts, section
> numbering, page breaks etc)

Before the stylesheet you should create a sample .fo file that suits
your taste. Then changing document2fo should be easy, but it's a second
step.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -