forrest-user mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: site.xml: is there a practical upper limit to number of files?
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:54:13 GMT
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I'm populating a web site with user docs composed of 6 manuals organized
> into 770 files.
>
> The left-hand site menu lists the title of each doc along with the table
> of contents and index. Individual files are not included on the menu,
> but to keep each one associated with the correct manual, I'm adding a
> entry for it in site.xml without a label; i.e., like the file*.html
> entries below:
>
>    <reference label="Reference Manual" href="reference/">
>          <toc label="Table of Contents" href="toc.html"
>              description="Table of Contents" />
>          <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Index"/>
>          <file1 href="file1.html"/>
>          <file2 href="file2.html"/>
>          <file3 href="file3.html"/>
>    </reference>
>
> Without these individual entries in site.xml, pulling up a page causes
> the menu to suddenly display entries for all tabs on the site.
>
> So, what I'm doing seems to work well, at least for the two manuals I
> have loaded so far. But I'm wondering if there's a practical limit to
> the number of files that can be included in site.xml.
>
> thanks in advance for any advice,
>
>  -jean

There shouldn't be any limit, except by your computer's memory :-)  It
might not scale well at high numbers, but I'm not sure.

If adding each file individually is too much work, and digging into some
forrest internals doesn't sound like too much work you can try using a
DirectoryGenerator.  See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=106517557805119&w=2  That
probably would be more work now than adding each file individually, but it
might be useful in the long run if it works.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal