forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Hare, Michael" <Michael.H...@fnc.fujitsu.com>
Subject Forrest 0.6 Interaction with Tomcat 5.0.27
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:18:34 GMT
Hi,

I'm seeing odd behavior when I try to use the forrest from svn.

I compile on Windows XP, I have Apache 2.0.50 + Tomcat 5.0.27 + JK2 2.0.4
I stopped using Cygwin because it was introducing it's own set of issues.

I keep my local image updated using: 'svn update', then 'build clean' the
'build'

I can seed, build and deploy a webapp.. no problems so far.

I connect Tomcat to the Forrest site with this configuration file:

<Context path="/ForrestExamples" docBase="C:\Forrest\build\webapp" debug="0"
reloadable="true">
   <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" debug="0"
verbosity="1" prefix="forrest_demo_log." directory="logs" timestamp="true"
suffix=".txt"/>
</Context>

I have copied over the endorsed libraries in to Tomcat's endorsed directory.

I can even access the Forrest Site from Tomcat.

The problem is once I put the configuration file into Tomcat's
catalina/localhost directory, I can no longer access several other of my
other applications such as Xindice, or the JSP and Servlet examples that
ship with Tomcat. I can't even access the Tomcat Home Page using
http://myurl.com:8080

I get HTTP Status 503 (Application Not Currently Available) for each of
these

Oddly enough, I can still access Cocoon 2.1.5.1 samples, Axis sample page
and the eXist XMLDB sample page.

Here's a few lines from my stdout.log file that are not there when all is
working.:

INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:C:\Programs\ApacheGroup\Tomcat5\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml
Aug 4, 2004 10:03:03 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig
authenticatorConfig
SEVERE: Cannot instantiate an authenticator of class
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

If I remove the Forrest site configuration file, and restart Tomcat, then
all is fine, except I can't access the Forrest Site without the config file.
If I copy the config file back to Tomcat, go to the Tomcat admin panel and
'start' Forrest, everything is fine. I can access my Forrest site and the
Tomcat home page.
If I stop then start Tomcat, it breaks again.

This is very localized to the 0.6 Forrest install.

If I swap back to using forrest 0.5.1 (%FORREST_HOME%, 0.5.1 endorsed libs,
etc..), then I don't have any problems at all.

Any one have any experience with any of this?
Michael Hare

GnuPG Key fingerprint = 1AD4 726D E359 A31D 05BF  ACE5 CA93 7AD5 D8E3 A876

 <<Hare, Michael.vcf>>