forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject PDF Rendering Bug?
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:51:17 GMT
Sorry for reposting, used the reply-button again.js

Hi!

We had this problem, too. And it is not
sufficient to downsize the images :-(

We have about 300+ pictures/screenshots
and could not render the complete PDF.

Seems like setting
       forrest.maxmemory=512m
in forrest.properties does help.

See FOR-71 (Our environment is Windows
XP and 2000, my machine has 512MB RAM)
and the FAQ-entry 1.7 (there may be a
hint that this can happen with big PDFs).

Cheers,
Johannes

 > From: Thorsten Vogel <tvcom@web.de>
 > Subject: PDF Rendering Bug?
 > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:49:19 +0200
 >

 > Apologies if this has been posted before,
 > but i am pretty new on this list.
 >
 > There appears to be a PDF rendering bug in forrest:
 >
 > When using GIF files with docbook style xml,
 > forrest locks up until running
 > out of memory while generating the PDF from the xml source.
 >
 > This appears to occur when:
 >
 > The gif image file is too large in 2 dimensions for the
 > PDF file, normal when
 > an image is too tall or too wide,
 > it scales it automatically, but if it is
 > too large in both dimensions, it cannot handle it and locks up.
 >
 > I got around it by making sure that all my images were
 > no larger than 500
 > pixels in more than one dimension.
 > those are not the exact allowed dimensions, but it worked.
 >
 > Can anyone shed some light on this limitation?
 > Any workarounds or best practices when using images in PDFs?
 >

 > Thanks in advance,
 >
 > Thorsten

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de