forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Fabio Rinaldi" <rina...@ifi.unizh.ch>
Subject Re: Solaris problem
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:44:07 GMT

David Crossley writes:
 > Fabio Rinaldi wrote:
 > >
 > > Actually, there is still a problem (though not necessarily solaris
 > > specific, I get it on Linux as well). As long as the installation
 > > belongs to me, it runs fine, but as soon as I change the ownership,
 > > then try to run it (as a different user), I get the following error:
 > <snip error message>
 >
 > However, that is fair enough. A UNIX system is insistent about
 > correct permissions.

Yes, but if we are in a multi-user environment, and we want one
installation to be used by multiple users, then this problems prevents
it: only the user which installed the software can actually use
it. When a user is running forrest to build a web site, it should not
need to write anything to the installation directory: all intermediate
and final files should be written in the build directory, or at least
this is what I would expect.

Besides, I have discovered another (minor) problem which might surface
in a multi-user environment. If a user is trying to run forrest
through a rlogin/ssh connection in a remote machine, this might be
difficult because the conversion of svg images seems to require
access to the X server. The workaround is to grant access to the X
server on the machine where forrest is being run (xhost +) and set the
DISPLAY variable to the remote machine's display. See below the error
message that I get when I try to run it remotely (without correct X
settings):

* [11/33]   [0/0]     13.862s 0b      samples/cocoon-pyramid.png
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using
'80-219-172-65.dclient.hispeed.ch:0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:125)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
        at sun.awt.font.FontResolver.<init>(FontResolver.java:46)
        at sun.awt.font.FontResolver.getInstance(FontResolver.java:150)
        at java.awt.font.TextLine.getFontAtCurrentPos(TextLine.java:984)
        at java.awt.font.TextLayout.standardInit(TextLayout.java:721)

None of these problems actually prevents me from using Forrest, but I
though it might be good to report them.

Fabio