forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject site.xml: is there a practical upper limit to number of files?
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:35:47 GMT
I'm populating a web site with user docs composed of 6 manuals organized
into 770 files.

The left-hand site menu lists the title of each doc along with the table
of contents and index. Individual files are not included on the menu,
but to keep each one associated with the correct manual, I'm adding a
entry for it in site.xml without a label; i.e., like the file*.html
entries below:

   <reference label="Reference Manual" href="reference/">
         <toc label="Table of Contents" href="toc.html"
             description="Table of Contents" />
         <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Index"/>
         <file1 href="file1.html"/>
         <file2 href="file2.html"/>
         <file3 href="file3.html"/>
   </reference>

Without these individual entries in site.xml, pulling up a page causes
the menu to suddenly display entries for all tabs on the site.

So, what I'm doing seems to work well, at least for the two manuals I
have loaded so far. But I'm wondering if there's a practical limit to
the number of files that can be included in site.xml.

thanks in advance for any advice,

 -jean