forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to create a patch for forrest
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:26:13 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> When I update to a new release,
> how can I patch it with my changes?
> Thanks!
> Johannes

(If we are talking patches and changes, then you
are a developer and we should be talking on the
dev list, but never mind.)

It depends how you work locally. Do you have
a "snapshot" from some time ago, or have you
done 'svn checkout' of the head of the trunk.

I work directly in my local svn working copy
of the head repository. Sometimes i might have
a separate working copy of the head if i am
doing bigger changes.

Here is my way ...

cd /usr/local/svn/forrest
svn update
... this merges changes from other committers.
(if there were core changes, then 'build clean; build')
edit something with my text editor
... for example, 'vi status.xml'
build, test it, view it, see changes.html
svn diff status.xml
... tells me what i changed.
... the email messages from "svn" at forrest mail list
tells me if other people are working on that file.
... oops, they made changes to the file i am working on.
svn update
... their changes get merged in with my local changes
and i would be told if there were conflicts.
continue work.

By the way, "release" is the wrong word. Our latest
release is forrest-0.5.1

--
David Crossley