forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Palmer" <char...@dspdesign.com>
Subject Re: Using <!ENTITY> or XIncludes
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:19:23 GMT
(Note - we are now discussing the treatment of HTML, rather than
XIncludes...)

I created the three types of XHTML file that XMLMinds allows ("Div",
"Strict" and "Transitional") - added only trivial content, checked their
validity with XMLMind's in-built checker, saved them as the ".ihtml" file
type and then processed them all with Forrest. Forrest reported no errors,
but the HTML that was created for each file read: "Error in conversion.
Warning This file is not in a html format, please convert manually."

The simplest file is just this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
of a
modular document)"</p></div>

Another is this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <head>
    <title>XHTML Example 1</title>
  </head>

Removing the line starting <?xml version... removed the error messages in
all three cases, but gave me less content than I expected in the rendered
HTML - only the <title> text, and not the <p> text. (The pdf file contains
the <title> text and on another line "<!-- -->").  (I now see that my
earlier VATReport example did not render as expected either).

So I would be tempted to a preliminary conclusion that there are a few
things broken with the rendering of html files. Can I forward anyone my
source files to see if you can reproduce my results?

Charles