forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Palmer" <char...@dspdesign.com>
Subject Re: Forrest available-skins only lists test* skins
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:09:08 GMT
Team

Is there any guidance or advice on producing skins?

The comment in site2xhtml.xsl says this:

site2xhtml.xsl is the final stage in HTML page production.  It merges HTML
from
document2html.xsl, tab2menu.xsl and book2menu.xsl, and adds the site header,
footer, searchbar, css etc.  As input, it takes XML of the form:

<site>
</site>

It looks to me that the .xsl file then proceeds to grab content and generate
HTML - but it looks like other .xsl files also generate HTML and so are
therefore involved in the look and feel.

Is there any automated or documented way of creating the .xsl files from an
existing HTML website, or is it all hand-crafted? That is, can arbitrary
HTML design tools be used to produce good-looking site templates, which can
then transformed into .xsl files? Or do you have to be both an HTML guru and
XSL guru to make a new skin?

Charles