forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Palmer" <char...@dspdesign.com>
Subject Ideas for file downloads?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:29:51 GMT
Team

I'm looking at Forrest to see if it can serve my task of disseminating technical information
on our products (manuals, documents, software) to our (technical) customers. We will create
sites to upload to the web, as well as copying to CD-ROMs. So far I can see ways of achieving
most of what we want. Thanks and well done!

An unresolved problem is how to give our users access to files - perhaps hundreds of files
in dozens of directories (in a tree structure).

Providing a link to a small numbers of files from within an XML/HTML page is OK, and we can
place the whole directory structure on a CD-ROM (as well as the web) and tell our CD-ROM users
where to browse to on their PC.

What I now need is some efficient method of getting web-based users to navigate and download
individual files or whole directories. Any ideas?

One thought is to zip up files and directories, and give web-based users links to the zip
files. Is there a way of getting Forrest to automate the zip process?

Similarly the directory view of files in your own source code -e.g. at: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/?root=Apache-SVN
looks a good example of navigating with a web browser (even though CVS is not for me, and
this doesn't look like it allows downloading of whole directories).

Any suggestions?

Charles