forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Palmer" <char...@dspdesign.com>
Subject Understanding linking
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:40:11 GMT
Team

I've been spending a bunch of time trying to understand how to link between files. I certainly
have a better idea now than I did yesterday morning. Not being critical, but some of the documentation
wasn't too clear, so I've tried to write my own, and would like to pass it back to be checked,
corrected, enhanced, and if  thought worthwhile, used to replace the existing sample2.xml
file that comes out of the forrest seed operation.

A few things:

1    I don't know whether user@forrest.apache.org accepts file attachments - I'll find out
soon enough!

2    You will need to make the small alteration to site.xml that the file talks about.

3    The process does give error messages like:

 ../site/test1.html  BROKEN: C:\Forrest\projects\Improved_Original\build\tmp\context\content\site\test1.xml
(The system cannot find the path specified)

No doubt there is a way of fixing this, that could be added to my work.

4   In terms of future documentation work, IMHO it would be good if the documentation uses
the site that forrest seed creates for examples of useage. After all, that is what users will
have on their local machine, and they can easily examine the code and make their own changes.
In contrast the menus and linking document at http://forrest.apache.org/docs/linking.html
uses extracts from the main forrest site, which is more difficult for users to examine, or
even theoretical examples that users can't examine.

Charles