forrest-user mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: forrestbot for lenya
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:10:38 GMT
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> >> Hello group,
> >>
> >> I would like to use the forrestbot for updating the lenya website.
> >>
> >> Is there a possibility to use a global apache forrestbot that will
> >> take care of the genaration and deployment of the lenya site? Or do I
> >> have to install it in my pc and run it from there?
> >>

> > See the recent "[Proposal] forrestbot at apache.org" thread on
> > dev@forrest.  I am going to start the discuss on infrastucture.
> >

> I saw that is the reason why ask here whether you see a possibility to
> use an existing one now. Maybe the one that is deploying our (the
> forrest) site ;-).

The only exiting one is at forrestbot.cocoondev.org and it is very out of
date.

> > A lenya buildfile and maybe a scheduled job is all you need.
> >

> Yeah, that is what I understood from
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/forrestbot.html.  It states
> forrest -f mybuildfile.xml
> to execute the bot, right? Can I just add that to the crontab for my
> user@minotaurus? With other work is there forrest installed at apache?
>
> Or is it that I will add it to my local crontab and deploy the site from
> home (or wherever I will set up the machine doing the task)?
>
> How are you (or better forrest) doing it to deploy it?

There is no common forrest installation on any of the apache servers,
AFAIK.

If you use a crontab, the FORREST_HOME variable won't be set, so
you'll probably want to do (something like):
[crontab timings] . /home/username/.bash_profile; cd somedir; forrest -f
file.xml

You can do it from home or anywhere.  I have been updating the forrest
website by using the forrestbot at home.  I'm not sure exactly how
the ASF forrestbot will be set up.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal