forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Howard Moore" <Howard.Mo...@borland.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon App: Need Forrest-ation
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:30:10 GMT
Forresters!

Yes!  A forrest block would be MOST USEFUL.   Wishlist: It would even be
better if it had some kind of built in editor to create simple
documentation.

When I generate a 'site' and mount it under cocoon, I get menu item
duplication and other small problems relating to the way it was
rendered.  I'll try it again to get more specifics but I think it may
relate to the skinning mechanism.

Even adding a new application under tomcat works, of course but this
makes for somewhat clumsy deployment.

If I build a cocoon application to give to others I would like them to
be able to install one application complete with documentation.

Thanks David, your ideas sound like the direction to go for sure!

Howard

-----Original Message-----
From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 10:28 PM
To: user@forrest.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cocoon App: Need Forrest-ation

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Howard Moore wrote:
> >I've got several existing Cocoon applications.
> >
> >How can I bring the Forrest docs I have generated under my
> >applications umbrella?
> >Example;
> >tomcat/webapps/cocoon/myapp/forrestdocs
> >
> >I've tried creating a static site but cocoon seems to have some
> >problems with that.
>
> Can't you just use a reader for that! Should work like a charme!

Howard, what "problems" are you referring to.
Cocoon should be able to deal with any pre-prepared documents.

As Thorsten has said, you would add some "match" statements to your
cocoon/myapp/sitemap.xmap which deal with requests for
forrestdocs/**.html and pdf and css by using <map:read>

However, this does sound clumsy doesn't it. You need to pre-generate the
docs with Forrest then package them into your Cocoon application, or use
other tricks, such as getting forrest to generate the static output
straight into the Cocoon webapp directory after Cocoon has started.

It sounds like what is really needed is a Cocoon Block called "forrest".

We have talked about this before but not gone further.
The block would contain all of the bit-and-pieces that forrest needs,
such as sitemaps, skinconf, DTDs, the skin stylesheets, and the few
extra jars. It should not need to supply any of the cocoon-related jars,
which i think is the problem of "too much duplication" that you allude
to below.

> >Also a complete 'webapp' build has way too much cocoon duplication.
> >
> Do you want it in the same dir? Yeah that would not really work!
> Why not /forrest war/ and just link to the forrest docu from your
> cocoon site (2 independent site). Ok, you want to have it under your
> application umbrella.
>
> ...then just copy the extracted war into
>
> tomcat/webapps/cocoon/myapp/forrestdocs
>
> and tell cocoon to mout the sitemap.

You need 's/mout/mount/' of course.

> >Can you kind and brilliant folks tell me how to do this?  The easy
> >way?  :)
>
> I do not know whether that is the easy way, but it could be a way ;-)

You are entering new territory here Howard. It is a place where we do
want to go, however no-one has yet put in the energy. We would be
pleased to hear how you go with some of those suggestions and what you
think about the Cocoon block idea.

--
David Crossley