forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XHTML, CSS and Javascript
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:02:08 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I try to avoid Javascript as much as possible in my webpages -- not
> that I have anything against JS, but I just like to stick to XHTML and
> CSS as far as possible. Having said that, there are 2 things in
> particular in Forrest that seem to rely on Javascript, but need not
> be:
>
> o First is the "Last published" timestamp that gets printed in some of
> the skins. Given that forrest uses such powerful technologies as Java,
> XML and XSLT, it should be pretty trivial to automagically generate
> the last modified timestamp for skins that want to use it. I gather
> that there is no direct way of doing this in XSLT as yet -- v2.0 is
> going to have timestamping built it. But for now people resort to XSLT
> extensions which in turn use JS or Java. Anyways, my point is can't we
> do this without using Javascript?

I am working on a new skin if you send a patch I will try it out!

...but since it works in any browser and it small I do not see the need
to change that yet. Like you said in xslt v2.0 it will be build in, I
rather wait for that. What is the advantage to drop the javascript?

> o Secondly, since we already have the complete sitemap in site.xml,
> why do we need a Javascript to generate the breadcrumbs trail? It
> should be easy to simply use site.xml to statically put the code for
> the trail in the generated HTML.

The thing is that it takes the path of the final destination in to
count. It will look for the URL and add folder to he breadline. Again it
is working fine and I do not see the need to change that.

King regards
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@mail>thorsten.at.apache.org</@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Scherler
</@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>