forrest-user mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwakergu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XHTML, CSS and Javascript
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:30:18 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:02:08 +0200, Thorsten Scherler
<thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> ....but since it works in any browser and it small I do not see the need
> to change that yet. Like you said in xslt v2.0 it will be build in, I
> rather wait for that. What is the advantage to drop the javascript?

There are several reasons I avoid Javascript for:
o it *does not* work in all browsers(text based browsers like w3m and elinks)
o AFAIK its not endorsed or standardized by any standards body. Its
maintained and developed by Netscape, and I'd rather use a w3c
alternative instead
o though the scipts forrest uses are trivial, they nevertheless run on
the client side. I want to avoid client-side code as much as possible.

Just because something IS possible in Javascript doesn't really mean
thats the best way to do it. IMHO using Cocoon/XSLT is a much neater
solution.

But then again, all these reasons are sort of personal; like I said
earlier I have nothing against Javascript per se.
--
Diwaker Gupta
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker