forrest-user mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwakergu...@gmail.com>
Subject XHTML, CSS and Javascript
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:22:52 GMT
Hi everyone,

I try to avoid Javascript as much as possible in my webpages -- not
that I have anything against JS, but I just like to stick to XHTML and
CSS as far as possible. Having said that, there are 2 things in
particular in Forrest that seem to rely on Javascript, but need not
be:

o First is the "Last published" timestamp that gets printed in some of
the skins. Given that forrest uses such powerful technologies as Java,
XML and XSLT, it should be pretty trivial to automagically generate
the last modified timestamp for skins that want to use it. I gather
that there is no direct way of doing this in XSLT as yet -- v2.0 is
going to have timestamping built it. But for now people resort to XSLT
extensions which in turn use JS or Java. Anyways, my point is can't we
do this without using Javascript?

o Secondly, since we already have the complete sitemap in site.xml,
why do we need a Javascript to generate the breadcrumbs trail? It
should be easy to simply use site.xml to statically put the code for
the trail in the generated HTML.

Diwaker
--
Diwaker Gupta