forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon App: Need Forrest-ation
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 05:28:19 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Howard Moore wrote:
> >I've got several existing Cocoon applications.
> >
> >How can I bring the Forrest docs I have generated
> >under my applications umbrella?
> >Example;
> >tomcat/webapps/cocoon/myapp/forrestdocs
> >
> >I've tried creating a static site but cocoon seems to
> >have some problems with that.
>
> Can't you just use a reader for that! Should work like a charme!

Howard, what "problems" are you referring to.
Cocoon should be able to deal with any pre-prepared documents.

As Thorsten has said, you would add some "match" statements
to your cocoon/myapp/sitemap.xmap which deal with requests
for forrestdocs/**.html and pdf and css by using <map:read>

However, this does sound clumsy doesn't it. You need to
pre-generate the docs with Forrest then package them
into your Cocoon application, or use other tricks, such
as getting forrest to generate the static output straight
into the Cocoon webapp directory after Cocoon has started.

It sounds like what is really needed is a Cocoon Block
called "forrest".

We have talked about this before but not gone further.
The block would contain all of the bit-and-pieces that
forrest needs, such as sitemaps, skinconf, DTDs, the
skin stylesheets, and the few extra jars. It should not
need to supply any of the cocoon-related jars, which
i think is the problem of "too much duplication" that you
allude to below.

> >Also a complete 'webapp' build has way too much
> >cocoon duplication.
> >
> Do you want it in the same dir? Yeah that would not really work!
> Why not /forrest war/ and just link to the forrest docu from your cocoon
> site (2 independent site). Ok, you want to have it under your
> application umbrella.
>
> ...then just copy the extracted war into
>
> tomcat/webapps/cocoon/myapp/forrestdocs
>
> and tell cocoon to mout the sitemap.

You need 's/mout/mount/' of course.

> >Can you kind and brilliant folks tell me how to do
> >this?  The easy way?  :)
>
> I do not know whether that is the easy way, but it could be a way ;-)

You are entering new territory here Howard. It is
a place where we do want to go, however no-one has yet
put in the energy. We would be pleased to hear how you
go with some of those suggestions and what you think
about the Cocoon block idea.

--
David Crossley