forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XHTML, CSS and Javascript
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:49:26 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > ....but since it works in any browser and it small I do not see the need
> > to change that yet. Like you said in xslt v2.0 it will be build in, I
> > rather wait for that. What is the advantage to drop the javascript?
>
> There are several reasons I avoid Javascript for:
> o it *does not* work in all browsers(text based browsers like w3m and elinks)
> o AFAIK its not endorsed or standardized by any standards body. Its
> maintained and developed by Netscape, and I'd rather use a w3c
> alternative instead
> o though the scipts forrest uses are trivial, they nevertheless run on
> the client side. I want to avoid client-side code as much as possible.

I agree with those and have an additional one:

* Many government agencies have mandates that say developers
cannot use javascript unless they also provide similar functionality
using other means. Some agencies even switch off javascript.

> Just because something IS possible in Javascript doesn't really mean
> thats the best way to do it. IMHO using Cocoon/XSLT is a much neater
> solution.

Absolutely. It would be great if you can help us to achieve that.

> But then again, all these reasons are sort of personal; like I said
> earlier I have nothing against Javascript per se.

There are some situations where we do need it, so we won't
be banning its use :-)

--
David Crossley