forrest-user mailing list archives

From Maria Jones <jonesfamily2...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: DTD Complication
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:44:00 GMT
On Thursday 17 June 2004 21:00, David Crossley wrote:
> Maria Jones wrote:
> > I have done a new installation of forrest from CVS.
>
> I hope that you are aware that Forrest does not use CVS
> anymore. If you are using CVS, then you are using very
> old sources. http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#cvs
<snip>

My bad! Wrong choice of words --- i have pulled using Subversion. Oops!

> The way that you have configured this will still work,
> but is not advisable. You should not mess with the Forrest
> source itself. You say "as advised", but i do not think
> that our documentation says to add to Forrest's internal
> catalog.
>
> You can provide a dedicated catalog.xcat for your project.
> See below.
>
> The current head version of SVN has even better ways to
> configure your local DTDs.

I reviewed the documentation and it does not state to uncomment the varaible
in forrest.properties. Thus i assumed, that it should be added to the
internal catalog. It is implied now that i look at it, but doesn't jump out
at the new user. Might need to review the docs.

> You need to follow the document "Using Forrest" your-project.html
> It describes the steps to deal with a new document type.
> It sounds like you have not added a "sitemap" to your project
> which is needed to detect your new document type.

Also, review the following text from
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap:

<snip>
If your site defines its own sitemap, it must perform all the operations of
the Forrest default. To get started, simply copy the Forrest sitemaps from
xml-forrest/src/resources/conf/*.xmap into your src/documentation directory
(or wherever ${project.sitemap-dir} points to).
</snip>

This references a directory structure that does not exist. Rather, it should
reference ${xml-forrest}/src/core/context/*.xmap. Or at least that i got out
of it. :)

BTW, i need not change anything in sitemap.xmap, but i did make the neccessary
stylesheet declarations in forrest.xmap which is sourced from sitemap.xmap.
Just as you had expected --- this was my problem. And believe it or not, this
did the job. Great work David!!!!

> By the way, do not expect Forrest to deal with all possible
> DocBook elements, especially extensions.
> See http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#docbook
>
> I hope that helps. If not then keep asking questions.

My sole purpose is to build a repository for Linux Documentation. But more
user friendly. I own the Linux-Howtos.com domain. I currently have a database
of well over 13,000 Linux documentation source. Generating almost 8 GB's of
mirrored local documentation sources. I would like to eventually build a XML
database of it all; but that is WAY down the road. And i decided to change my
CMS to XML-based --- given Forrest is well known, and OS community oriented
---- it was my first choice.

Anyways, i have documented my failures and/or successes throughout the
process; if you would like to utilize them for documentation review and/or
development i can forward it later.I intend to contribute my findings to the
community as i develop the site further.

Great product -- and good work! Thanks very much! ;)