forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD Complication
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:31:06 GMT
Maria Jones wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Maria Jones wrote:
> > > I have done a new installation of forrest from CVS.
> >
> > I hope that you are aware that Forrest does not use CVS
> > anymore. If you are using CVS, then you are using very
> > old sources. http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#cvs
> <snip>
>
> My bad! Wrong choice of words --- i have pulled using Subversion. Oops!

Good.

> > The way that you have configured this will still work,
> > but is not advisable. You should not mess with the Forrest
> > source itself. You say "as advised", but i do not think
> > that our documentation says to add to Forrest's internal
> > catalog.
> >
> > You can provide a dedicated catalog.xcat for your project.
> > See below.
> >
> > The current head version of SVN has even better ways to
> > configure your local DTDs.
>
> I reviewed the documentation and it does not state to uncomment the varaible
> in forrest.properties. Thus i assumed, that it should be added to the
> internal catalog. It is implied now that i look at it, but doesn't jump out
> at the new user. Might need to review the docs.

No need to un-comment the variables unless you need to change them.
They are the defaults.

> > You need to follow the document "Using Forrest" your-project.html
> > It describes the steps to deal with a new document type.
> > It sounds like you have not added a "sitemap" to your project
> > which is needed to detect your new document type.
>
> Also, review the following text from
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap:
>
> <snip>
> If your site defines its own sitemap, it must perform all the operations of
> the Forrest default. To get started, simply copy the Forrest sitemaps from
> xml-forrest/src/resources/conf/*.xmap into your src/documentation directory
> (or wherever ${project.sitemap-dir} points to).
> </snip>
>
> This references a directory structure that does not exist. Rather, it should
> reference ${xml-forrest}/src/core/context/*.xmap. Or at least that i got out
> of it. :)

Correct. Ah, you have caught us toward the end of a re-organisation
and the docs need to catch up.

> BTW, i need not change anything in sitemap.xmap, but i did make the neccessary
> stylesheet declarations in forrest.xmap which is sourced from sitemap.xmap.
> Just as you had expected --- this was my problem.

Glad that you have found it. BTW you do not need to copy all
sitemaps, just the particular ones that you need to change.

> And believe it or not, this did the job. Great work David!!!!

We believe it.

> > By the way, do not expect Forrest to deal with all possible
> > DocBook elements, especially extensions.
> > See http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#docbook
> >
> > I hope that helps. If not then keep asking questions.
>
> My sole purpose is to build a repository for Linux Documentation. But more
> user friendly. I own the Linux-Howtos.com domain. I currently have a database
> of well over 13,000 Linux documentation source. Generating almost 8 GB's of
> mirrored local documentation sources. I would like to eventually build a XML
> database of it all; but that is WAY down the road. And i decided to change my
> CMS to XML-based --- given Forrest is well known, and OS community oriented
> ---- it was my first choice.

Welcome, we need to evolve with use cases such as yours.

You do not need to have xml docs to work with Forrest, as long
as they have some structure.

> Anyways, i have documented my failures and/or successes throughout the
> process; if you would like to utilize them for documentation review and/or
> development i can forward it later.I intend to contribute my findings to the
> community as i develop the site further.

Oh please do. We always need help with docs, especially from
user experience. Do what i did when started with opensource,
and still do. As you read the Forrest docs via your local
'forrest run', edit the xml source when you spot a problem.
Run 'build patch' and add it to our Jira Issue tracker.
Its a great way to learn Forrest and immediately contribute.

Sure send us your notes too.

--David