forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Vicent Mas <uve...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with hidden pages
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:18:38 GMT
2011/11/12 David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>:
> Vicent Mas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running a dispatcher site and I'd like to add a custom '404 error'
>> page to it. I've created a 404.xml file and put it in my xdocs
>> directory. The page shouldn't appear in the navigation menu so in my
>> site.xml I've added an entry without 'label' attribute:
>>
>>     <error404 href="404.html" />
>>
>> When I execute 'forrest run' the browser loads the URL
>> localhost:8888/404.html with no problem. However, when I run 'forrest'
>> and create a static site, the 404.html is not added to the site. Could
>> someone tell me how to add a hidden page to a static site, please?
>> I've googled the web with no luck.
>
> This page explains additional documents:
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/howto/howto-asf-mirror.html
>
> You do not need all of what is explained there, but it
> does talk about "extra documents".
>
> -David

Hi David,

thanks a lot for the info. Copying in my xdocs directory a pure html
file linked to no other document and customising cli.xconf for
processing it works. The problem is that the generated file uses the
default pelt skin, but my website uses a customised pelt skin. I don't
know how to tell to cli.xconf that it should use my customised skin.
Is it doable?

As a dirty workaround I've come back to my initial idea (that
explained in my first post) and I've added an  <a
href="site:error404"> </a> element to one of the regular pages of my
website. This invisible <a> element points to the hidden 404.html
page. So now the page is hidden but linked and running 'forrest'
generates it and adds it to the website. Not very elegant, but seems
to work.

Vicent
--
Share what you know, learn what you don't.