forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject Fixing Locale on the zone (was: RE: Latin1 character problems in dispatcher)
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:01:47 GMT
> Subject: Re: Latin1 character problems in dispatcher
>

> Den 20. mai. 2010 kl. 14.51 skrev Thorsten Scherler:
>
> > further can you open a terminal and tell me what the output of
> "locale" are?
>
> $ locale
> LANG="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_CTYPE="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="no_NO.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL="no_NO.UTF-8"

Thanks to Sjur and Thorsten this got me to check the locale on the zone; the LANG= setting
was empty so not set.

We can't set the locale for the Zone because that setting is shared with other zones (which
will be cured when our
zone moves to jails.) , however, we can set it a user level.

I tested this by running manually:

$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
$ /export/home/config/run-forrestbot.sh forrest-sample-2.xml notify trunk

I then checked the zone at

http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-sample-2/index.html

and yay, sure enough the ?? had all vanished to be replaced with proper copyright and TM symbols
etc.

This will disappear on the next forrestbot run however.

Because the forrestbot scripts are run under user crossley, David, could you please add

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

to your .bash_profile, I believe that will then solve this permanently.

Thanks

Gav...