forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: Can't get Dispatcher working at all windows/linux from trunk
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:48:25 GMT

<snip>

> version.
> discussion

> something.
> >
> > And there lies the clue!
> >
> > Despite having set default java to either 1.5 or 1.6, despite setting
> > JAVA_HOME to point to 1.5 or 1.6, it still compiled using 1.4 due to
> the
> > fact that the build.compiler.vm was still set at 1.4 !!
> >
> > I have now brought my local copy back up to trunk:HEAD, changed the
> > setting to 1.5, changed the JAVA_HOME to 1.5 and Dispatcher now works
> > fine on Windows and Linux !!
> >
> > (Have others tried that and had success/failure)
> >
> > Looking at the Forrest Zone at
> >
> > http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-sample-2/
> >
> > it is clearly not using Dispatcher.
> >
> > I also tested in 1.6 and get the following compile errors:
> >
> > compile:
> > Created dir: /home/gmcdonald/asf/forrest/build/classes
> > Compiling 33 source files to
> /home/gmcdonald/asf/forrest/build/classes
> >
> /home/gmcdonald/asf/forrest/main/java/org/apache/forrest/util/IdGenerat
> orTransformer.java:177: unmappable character for encoding UTF8
> >                 //	- <a href="#Quelques+r%E8gles...">Quelques
> > r�gles...</a
> >                   	                                            ^
> >
> /home/gmcdonald/asf/forrest/main/java/org/apache/forrest/util/IdGenerat
> orTransformer.java:180: unmappable character for encoding UTF8
> >                 //	- <a href="#Quelques+r%C3%A8gles...">Quelques
> > r�gles...</a>
> >
> ^
> > 2 errors
> >
> > So, getting closer to having 1.6 work too.
>
> Hmm, that is under Windows right?
>
> I have seen it before in other projects.

actually no, that was under Linux (using java 1.6.0_15-b03)

I tested Forrest & dispatcher under Windows using Java 1.6 (using java
1.6.0_18-b07) and that too, now works fine without any errors.

So to re-cap my situation now:

Using Java 1.4.x under Windows or Linux - dispatcher does not work.

(but if you roll back whiteboard/plugins/dispatcher to r886146 then
that older version works fine with rest of current trunk)

Using Java 1.5.x under Windows or Linux - current dispatcher works fine.

Using Java 1.6.x under Windows - current dispatcher works fine.

Using Java 1.6.x under Linux - current dispatcher does not work.
(with those two utf8 errors mentioned)

With all the above - set the build.compiler.vm to match java version.

also note I don't have a MAC to test the above scenarios.

HTH

Gav...