forrest-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xdocs title element and the title bar of browser windows
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:25:26 GMT
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Vicent Mas <uvemas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-13 Vicent Mas <uvemas@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to fine tunning my dispatcher website. One thing that I find
>> particularly annoying is the fact that regular processing of a xdoc
>>  fragment like:
>>
>> <document id="mydoc_id">
>>
>>   <header>
>>     <title>My title</title>
>>   </header>
>>   <body>
>> ...
>>
>> will produce an HTML page like:
>>
>> <html>
>>   <head>
>>     <title>My title</title>
>>   </head>
>>   <body>
>>     <div id="content">
>>       <h1 class="content-title">My title</h1>
>> ...
>>
>> so the *same* title will appear in the title bar of the browser window and
>>  in the body of the html page.  In addition, this title is used for search
>>  engines like google when the result of a search is shown. But the body
>>  title string normally is not meaningful when displayed as a result of a
>>  search or when displayed in the title bar of the web browser. So I'd like
>>  to know how to specify different titles for the HTML head and the HTML
>>  body. Is ther a direct way for doing it with Forrest? Or have I to do some
>>  hacking?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Vicent
>
> Hi again,
>
> I've been playing around with contracts that seem related to the subject
> (namely content-title.ft and title.ft) but I cannot figure out how to do what I
> want in an easy way.
>
> Also I've found a new problem (although it doesn't affect me right now): the
> content-title.ft contract description says it deal with subtitles but I don't
> see the code for doing it. In fact I've not succeeded using subtitles in my
> xdocs: using a subtitle element inside a header element produces no output at
> all.
>
> Any ideas? Help will be appreciated.

Hi Vincent,
I haven't poked around with dispatcher in a long time and don't
remember the preferred way of modifying contracts, but it looks like
your on the right track with the content-title contract.  That
contract appears to output a title in two locations (the two
forrest:part elements), you're happy with one, but not the other.

It's been a while, so this may not be correct, but you might try...

o) Overriding the content-title contract in your local project,
removing the undesired output part.
o) Finding the right contract to override to output the title in a new
location (override that contract, find the right params to pass in,
etc.)

If I've gone wildly astray, hopefully Thorsten will come in and save you:)
--tim

Mime
View raw message