forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Important] Status and future direction
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:31:39 GMT
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:37:48AM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Rather than try to find one specific direction at this stage, or
> creating new wish lists, we need to find a definite way forward.
> Let solutions evolve.
>
> Here is one proposal.
>
> *) Current trunk continues as-is, based on Cocoon-2.1
>
> *) Create an SVN area for each group who want to try
> to develop something new. A completely empty space for
> each group of people to start from scratch.

One could say we already have that space in the whiteboard, but I've
never thought of it this way. It can't hurt to get some (more)
experiments going. Surely some ideas would show up in experiments
which prove useful in current Forrest, but it also doesn't hurt if
that's not the case.

> *) Assign each a simple code name (so as not to descend
> into naming wars or set false impressions about what will
> be next), e.g. ForA, ForB, ForC.

Yes, good idea. No need to get hung up on names at this stage.

I've joined the thread late, so now I'm no longer sure where the rest
of my comments should go. I'll just continue here.

I fall into the same group as several others in the thread. And that
is that my current needs have shifted from Forrest to something very
Forrest-like. Right now I need a full web application, not just
dynamic mode Forrest. But there is a need for Forrest's transformation
capabilities as part of the system. Making that all work together
should leave an interesting use case scenario to document, as well as
get me back up to speed.

Brian