forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Important] Status and future direction
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:03:59 GMT
2009/10/12 Johannes Schaefer <Johannes.Schaefer@uid.com>:
> Hello from a lurking user and committer!
>
> I'm top-posting because I just want to add our use case to the
> discussion which is different from producing a web site and maybe
> closer to the original vision of Forrest.

Thanks...

> There's much room for Forrest to improve, we always have some hassles
> when a new project starts and a long wish list. We don't have the
> resources to add substantially to Forrest beyond our internal hacks :-(

That, in my opinion is the problem. I find it easier to do internal
hacks of non-Forrest solutions than to work with Forrest now.
Technology has moved on since we started Forrest and Forrest has not
done so. We got bedded down chasing our own tales for a long time and
we never came out of it.

If Forrest was simpler and could be used as a library rather than as a
monolithic system I think we would have some realy developers rather
than real users.

If been involved with Forrest since day one, if even I find it easier
to hack around than to build decent reusable code then I think that is
a symptom of a problem. What I'm reading in this thread from those
other than the usual suspects is that the symptoms are seen elsewehere
too.

How do we solve that?

Ross