forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: SolrForrest plugin
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:07:28 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 14-01-2009 a las 12:11 +0100, Andrzej Bialecki escribió:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I found this Forrest plugin at the Forrest site. If you guys have a
>> moment to spare I'd really appreciate your advice.
>>
>> I'm a complete newbie to Forrest, the only things I know how to do is to
>> fill in the blanks in the default site xdocs and generate static html.
>> It's not much, I'm afraid.
>
> Should be enough. ;)
>
> Since the plugin is still in the whiteboard you need to use the TRUNK of
> forrest. Best to get started with the plugin:
>
> cd
> $FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr
> forrest run
>
> http://localhost:8888/index.html -> here you find some samples and basic
> instructions.

Ok, so far so good. I was able to complete these steps, and I can see
the documentation.

>> Now, I need to index the content of a Forrest site in Solr, using a
>> custom schema - e.g. the "id" in my case should be equivalent to the
>> full URL of the page of the deployed site.
>
> You have seen http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrForrest and
> http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/

Yes, but that documentation is not helpful for a newbie like me. It
lists some configuration snippets without telling where to put them.

Basically, I need a step-by-step instruction how to generate _static_
Solr documents output, exactly like the one here
http://192.168.0.251:8888/index-creation.solr.add - but this one is
generated dynamically, i.e. requires a running instance of forrest, and
I need to generate it statically.

>> First, I'm stuck conceptually - sitting in the top-level dir of the
>> forrest site, what is it that I have to do to produce a file with the
>> Solr <add> documents?
>
> Actually that is doing the plugin to you.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/output.xmap?view=markup
> <!-- Output xdocs as solr docs -->
> <map:match pattern="**.solr">
>  <map:generate src="cocoon://{1}.xml"/>
>  <map:transform src="{lm:solr.transform.xdocs.solrDoc}">
>   <map:parameter name="document-url" value="{1}.xml"/>
>   <map:parameter name="project" value="{properties:project.name}"/>
>  </map:transform>
>  <map:serialize/>
> </map:match>

I'm not sure what this means - does it mean that I have to specify
somewhere the list of document names with .xml replaced by .solr ?

> You are talking about to extend the ./resources/stylesheets/xdocs-to-solrDoc.xsl with
your custom attributes.
> First have a look at the plugins xsl to get an idea about how we are doing things.
>
> Now copy the file to your project into your stylesheet dir (default is src/documentation/resources/stylesheets/
= {project.stylesheets-dir}).

> Let forrest know that you want to provide a custom location by adding the following in
your project locationmap.xml after the "locator" element:
> <match pattern="solr.transform.xdocs.solrDoc">
>  <location src="{project.stylesheets-dir}/xdocs-to-solrDoc.xsl"/>
> </match>
>
>>>From here you need to implement your logic.
>
>> I already added the Solr output plugin to
>> skinconf.xml. I discovered that I can get this via webapp, but I'd
>> rather not actually run the webapp.
>
> hmm, skinconf.xml has nothing to do with the plugin. Where did you get
> the expression that you need to edit this file? You need to add the
> plugin to "project.required.plugins".

Ok, I did that. Still after running 'forrest site' I don't see the solr
documents anywhere.

>> Second, how can I modify the schema of the produced documents, so that
>> e.g. the id is the full URL - a configurable root URL plus the page
>> name, and so that I can add other metadata to the docs?
>
> You will need to create your own xsl to override the default one as
> described above.
>
>> Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!
>
> Please keep on asking if this are still not very clear.

Thanks for your help. I'm afraid this is still not very clear...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><