forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <>
Subject Piwi - Forrest in PHP
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:27:35 GMT
Hi all,

I sent an E-Mail before a while about the PIWI project. Meanwhile a
lots of improvements have been done and I would like to point you to
the project again.

PIWI is a transformation framework written in PHP. It uses lots of
ideas and concepts from Cocoon and esspecially Forrest. Its current
project site can be found here:
Docs and Demo:

Its completly implemented under the Apache License.

Current features are:

- Crawler for static content generation
- Forms (easy create web forms and assistants) & Form Validation
- Serializer: HTML, PDF (with non-ASL software), Excel (very basic),
XML, Word (very basic too)
- Internal PIWI-Format has been changed to a subset of XHTML
- Generators and Connectors (Generate XML from within other
XML-Structures; Connect a Generator to Databases)
- Authentification
- Custom XML tags with custom XSLT stylesheets
- Easy upgrading from previous versions
- Caching of content to reduce processor time
- Easy template creation for cool layouts :-)
- Localization (just with telling in the site.xml which pages are
written in which language)
- Menu-Generation
- DataGridGenerator (generate html tables out of SQL-Statemnts)
and so on.

You can see most features in action at

Several things have to be done, but at the moment we consider the
project as feature complete. We plan to wait a while and fix occuring
bugs or feature requests and then walk towards a version 1.0. We also
would like to write some more user docs.

It would be great to get some feedback of you guys. I think PIWI would
perfectly fit to the Forrest project and we might be interested in
this. I strongly believe that Apache needs a web framework in PHP.  If
you guys think so, let us know. Any help or ideas here are highly

Best regards,

View raw message