forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Piwi - Forrest in PHP
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:18:13 GMT

On 20 Dec 2008, at 02:13, David Crossley wrote:

> I don't understand what this has to do with Forrest,
> other than it was inspired by Forrest.
>
> Why are we talking about the design of Piwi on this list?
> Better on the Piwi mail list.

Because the developers seem to think it is appropriate to the Forrest
project. Just because we don't see why at first glance doesn't mean it
isn't relevant.

> We have enough trouble getting people to develop Forrest,
> let alone develop someone else's product.

The problems with Forrest, as I see them,  were clearly laid out a
very long time ago. Piwi is addressing the same problems (overly
complex, hard to host, impossible to embed, hard to understand).

> Note for the mail archives:
> Regarding PHP in Forrest, see the following FAQs:
>
> How to use a different filename extension for output, e.g. *.php?
> http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#output-filename-extension
>
> How to generate pages ready for serving via PHP?
> http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#php

Neither of those FAQs having anything to do with the motivations of
Piwi.

Ross