forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Piwi - Forrest in PHP
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:13:34 GMT

On 22 Dec 2008, at 16:50, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> Sure, and your work has gone further than my Forrest 2 experiments
>> did.
>> However, it has diverged from the goals of Forrest and is
>> therefore, in its
>> current form, a very different project.
>
> Totally true. Sadly - I really was excited about bringing some benefit
> to forrest. Instead of that, I should better visit Cocoons
> mailinglist.

Before you do I would recommend you check out the work on Cocoon 3 -
this is addressing many of the complexity issues. I doubt very much
that Cocoon would be interested in Piwi for the opposite reason that I
think Forrest is not interested. As a web framework Piwi offers far
less features than Cocoon and the issue of requiring Java is not
relevant for the Cocoon community. Furthrmore there are existing PHP
frameworks for those who don't want java.

Still, I don't speak for the whole community only as an individual.

> However, I learned much and would like to thank you for
> your explainations. I will not bother this list again with my ideas of
> contributing PIWI as a sub project of Apache Forrest - I may find a
> Champion in a more appropriate project :-)

Indeed you may and I thank you for working with us on understanding
the issues here. I'm glad I took the time to do so, I now know what
Piwi is and, if it should find a champion and enter the incubator, as
you seem to desire, then I will know which way to vote as an Incubator
PMC member.

Ross