forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Moshagen <sju...@mac.com>
Subject Re: FOPNGSerializer and utf-8
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 05:34:26 GMT
Den 5. sep. 2008 kl. 00.53 skrev Thorsten Scherler:

> Hi all,
>
> I stumbled over an old problem on the solr mailing list:
>
> http://solr.markmail.org/search/?q=forrest#query:forrest+page:1
> +mid:ufocogvqrvrrg75c+state:results
>
> To pin down the problem:
> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.html shows Otis Gospodnetić
> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.pdf shows Otis Gospodneti#
>
> Have a look at http://forrest.apache.org/who.pdf there you will find
> "Brian M. Dubé" which is perfectly preserved.
>
> I guess it is because the different character set

It is rather because of the glyph repertoir in the font being used by
the FOPNGSerializer - if there is no glyph for the requested character
in the font, it will come out as #, a square, a question mark, or
nothing (# in the case above).

> and the solution
> probably is the work that Sjur is currently conducting.

Yes :)

> BTW the thread
> is pointing out FOR-132, are they related?

I didn't know about that bug, but yes, that is it. I'll comment on
that bug.

> Has somebody a tip how I can fix it?

Use the latest SVN version of Forrest, and use the pdf plugin coming
with the sources (not the one on the web). This will work for Skins-
based sites, and basic pages will now also work in dispatcher-based
sites (the dispatcher work isn't finished yet, but the seed-site front
page renders fine in pdf at least).

I have documented the new features in the pdf plugin documentation,
but last time I checked, it was not yet visible on the Forrest site.
Perhaps we need to release a new version of the pdf plugin?

Best regards,
Sjur