forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Moshagen <sju...@mac.com>
Subject i18n message catalogue filename convention
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:48:40 GMT
Hello all,

So far the built-in support for i18n is only done for HTML output. The
files are called CommonMessages_LOCALE.xml. The problem is that the
name is misleading, since the messages/strings in those files are
really not common to other output formats than HTML.

Also, all string translation there is is now done in core. I suggest
that the string translations of plugins will be moved into each
plugin, which necessitates that the translation files get unique names
to avoid clashes (for example in a project translation override/
enhancement).

I would therefore like to propose the following naming scheme for
string translation files:

[Output/Internal/Theme][PluginName]Messages_LOCALE.xml

That will give filenames of the type:

OutputHTMLMessages_en.xml

OutputPDFMessages_en.xml

etc.

i18n is most relevant for the output, but I wouldn't like to exclude
other types of plugins in the naming convention, just in case.

HTML output is strictly speaking not produced by a plugin (except in
the case of dispatcher), but it is nevertheless treated like that in
this naming scheme.

Any comments to the proposed naming scheme before I proceed?

Best regards,
Sjur