forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject PDF Plugin: Customization approach
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 10:51:26 GMT
Just a thought: I've noticed how customization of the FO stylesheets
have been approached but I'm not sure it's the best way to do it. How
about doing it more the XSLT way using xsl:attribute-set and
xsl:use-attribute-sets? A default document-to-fo-styles.xsl would
contain the attribute sets with the default behaviour. The user could
then override that default styles file with his own customizations which
would then not be restricted to the few points that are predefined, but
could change font sizes, spacing, color etc. I haven't prototyped it,
yet. I guess the tricky part is to do the override right (probably just
a simple xsl:import with a Cocoon-handled URI). The nice side-effect is
that it will simplify the FO stylesheets, too, and improve splitting
structure and style.

I'm not sure if I have time soon to do a prototype. No problem if
someone beats me to it. ;-)

Jeremias Maerki