forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PHP Forrest
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:54:05 GMT
Hi,

> Some of the issues you raise were what prompted me to experiment with
> Forrest 2. I created a simple prototype of Forrest 2 a long time ago,
> however, I've since moved onto other things (Apache Sling provides much of
> what I, personally, need). This was intended to simplify the use of Forrest
> whilst retaining the flexibility of the plugin framework.

actually i have checked out Forrest 2 and this gave me the idea to program
it in PHP.

There has, in the past, been some interest in a "lightweight" forrest.
> However, I suspect for you to gather interest here it would have to reuse
> much of what is going on in the Forrest world, i.e. be able to use existing
> plugins (or at least substantial parts of them). Certainly that would be the
> case for me.

Interesting point.  I would have to figure out how that would work. In fact,
due to the scripting engines in Java,
it would be possible to integrate a Java-Forrest with PIWI. One could use
the old Java-Plugins, while using PIWI then.
PIWI could be used as a forrest plugin or standalone.

The fact that you are using "piwi-xml" is a concern. Forrest is trying to
> move to a subset of XHTML2, it is highly unlikely that we would go the route
> of another non-standard format.

I missed the discussion about moving to XHTML i guess. I think you have good
reasons for this and will lookup the old discussions about this. I may
choose XHTML2 too.

> I'd also be concerned about the apparant lack of static generation in PIWI
> - this is a main feature of Forrest.

That's true. Here could also help the Forrest-Piwi plugin mentioned above,
or a Java-Crawler which also uses PIWI. Java is great for that stuff
meanwhile and the resin php implementation works very good. I am not sure
about the license stuff here.

> However, your proposal is interesting, it's just impossible for me to say
> whether *I* would be interested because your site does not provide enough
> information about what it can and cannot do. Putting together a sample site
> demonstrating all the features would be good.

I will put such a site together, with more documentation and then come back
to this list. If some of you are interested in trying out: after downloading
and putting the code into a php5 host a sample site is allready configured.

thanks for your interest!
Chris.