forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XInclude
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:45:05 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Gavin wrote:
> >> From: Brian M Dube

> >> The problem does not appear to be trivial. The Document DTD would need
> >> to allow for XInclude almost everywhere. Is this practical? What is the
> >> alternative?
> >
> > Well, bad day for me, I 'assumed' we had xinclude support for our
> > document-v20, so thanks for reverting.
> >
> > In another thread I'm talking about removing the todo list, one of the items
> > on that list says :-
> >
> > 18. - [code] Migrate to a decent schema language, primarily so that we can
> > use namespaces in XML docs, allowing things like XInclude, in-line metadata,
> > in-line SVG, Jelly snippets, or anything else users can make a Transformer
> > for. ?$B"* open
> >
> > So it seems that is not done. I don't know the best way forward on this, we
> > can add it to our DTD, create a new one and add it to our schema, point to
> > something better existing or .. ??

IIRC, we have decided in the past to add it to our xdocs DTD,
just that no-one has done it. Search the mail lists and Jira.
There are many discussions. I am just back from holidays
and busy catching up, so cannot help more. Here is one
starting point, but there are more:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310000&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12310001
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1032

As long as we can do the same thing whenever we move
to XHTML as the internal format, then i am happy for us
add any well-reasoned new elements to the XDOC DTD.

> > The patch itself seems flawless in its application, matching the W3C
> > examples [1] pretty closely, so I don?$B!Gt have a problem with the way they
> > have been applied as such, just need to work out the best approach to
> > approve the method and get it validated against our tests.
>
> Hmmm.... I'm sure I've used XInclude without breaking validation,
> however, it is many years ago now and my memory may be tricking me.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with DTD's.
>
> I'd be happy to remove my -1 on the example and the validation turn off
> if there was a nice big *warning* at the top of the sample page to warn
> users about this and to point to an issue to fix it.

I am not happy to supply an example that contradicts standards.

-David