forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Sina K. Heshmati" <s...@khakbaz.com>
Subject RE: Addressing FOR-652 CSS cleanup
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:01:44 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Sina K. Heshmati wrote:
>>
>> Thorsten's comment on the issue is already helpful: "The task involved are:
>> 1) reduce css files (merge the files)
>> 2) rename css elements and the corresponding structurer hooks/contracts."
>>
>> It would be handy if Gavin and Thorsten shared how they would start so as to
>> divide the problem into a few subproblems.
>
> I would start with reducing all files in one big one. Afterward we can
> decide which elements should get extracted into another css file.

I'd assume it would mean all the CSS files in a particular theme. That is, Pelt and Common
as two different themes have a completely different set of CSS stylesheets, right?

> Your attachment has
>    <ul>
>     <li id="menu_selected_1.1Title" class="pagegroupselected">
>      <ul id="menu_selected_1.1" class="selectedmenuitemgroup">
>        <li class="menupage">
>        </li>
>        <li class="menuitem">
>          <a/>
>        </li>
>      </ul> <!--/menu_selected_1.1-->
>     </li> <!--/menu_selected_1.1Title-->
>     <li id="menu_1.2Title" class="pagegroup">
>
> This is way too verbose and should go away in a new version. IMO the @id
> does not provide any valuable information therefore it should be
> striped. If the @id is needed for the expanding js menu is needed then
> the menu should be rewritten.
>
> The id="leftbar" should be renamed to something more general.
>
> Otherwise looks good to me.

Absolutely! Please note that the files I uploaded to JIRA represent the current capture of
our existing systems, namely skins and dispatcher and I have committed no changes yet.

As David stated, we need to use standard names and that's the whole point. First, clean markup,
CSS will be our next milestone.

Here [1] is where I share the links that I find interesting about semantic markup.

-Sina

[1] http://del.icio.us/sindoc/forrest+2008+markup+redesign
[2] http://www.simplebits.com/