forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to merge FOP94-branch
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:34:13 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> David Crossley schrieb:
>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> You should merge changes from the whole trunk into branch first and
>>> then test. If all goes well you can merge back into trunk. This step
>>> is not required but sometimes it sometimes highlights a change in
>>> trunk that affects your changes in the branch.
>
> I now did a dry run to merge all changes from HEAD to r601867 into the
> branch -- no problems here. Should I commit this merge into the branch?

May as well do it when the full process can be followed. However, there
is no harm in doing it periodically during branch development (some say
it actually helps).

>> I see that Ferdinand and Johannes are doing piecemeal changes
>> to the branch. I reckon that you would do better to follow
>> Ross' advice. Remember that we got into big trouble one time
>> and couldn't later merge to trunk.
>
> Ferdinand touched very few files (namely in skins/commion/xslt/fo and
> lib/core), so, he might as well apply these changes to HEAD.
>
> What if Ferdinand manages to contain everything in the PDF/FOP-plugin?

Keep the work in the branch until it is complete, then do the merge into
trunk in one go. It makes the logs easier to follow (one revision number
for the complete branch merge).

Ross