forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to merge FOP94-branch
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:12:32 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Ross are you talking about "using" Forrest plugins?
>> IIUC, Ferdinand is talking about developing the code
>> in svn trunk. As far as i can see there can only be
>> one version.
>
> David is right. Is it at all possible to have two separate versions of a
> plugin in svn? And how would that work?

Ah, sorry. Then the answer is only if you branch.

>> Ferdinand i don't understand why we would want to maintain
>> two separate versions.
>
> Good point. If the old plugin is still available  for download and the
> new plugin is marked so that is works with 0.8 there is really no reason
> to still have the old code in svn.

Exactly. It's just like we don't maintain forrest 0.7 in SVN (other than
in a branch).

> So what I'd do is:
>
> - publish the current state of the pdf-plugin if there are
>   changes
>   just checked: last change was April 10, 2007 thus before
>   the 0.8-release thus no need to republish

+1

> - update the version number of the plugin, move the libs and
>   stylesheets and test this with fop94-branch
> - when working test the new plugin with forrest 0.8 and
>   head

+1

> - when working publish the plugin and remove fop-code in
>   from head.

I assume you mean libs and stylesheets in core, in which case +1

You will also need to increment the version number of the plugin in SVN
to 0.4-dev

We have never fixed our plugin release plan. It should really go through
a PMC vote (otherwise the release is not really approved by the ASF) and
we should also tag the source tree.

And the process should be documented.

Ross