forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Xdoc format
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:42:42 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Carlos Tejo Alonso wrote:
> >
> >I was looking for the elements that could be inside <header> like
an
> >example with these elements?
>
> That's what a DTD defines. I have provided links to info about the DTD
> and how to use it in your favourite editor. This will give
> auto-completion in most editors, which will answer exactly this question.
>
> Furthermore, in the document you linked to in your original post [1] is
> generated from the DTD. It provides a description of what is allowed in
> what elements. So, for example,  header is defined as:
>
> header
> Content model 	( title , subtitle ? , version ? , type ? , authors ? ,
> notice * , abstract ? , meta * )
>
> If you don't know how to read this or the DTD then I recommend you read
> a tutorial on DTD, any search engine will help you find a good one.

That is good explanation, however i gather that Carlos was
looking for an example of those elements.

Even though our sample "document-v20" says
"all possible elements", it doesn't.

Carlos, our documentation uses examples of itself.
Use your favourite "find" tool to search the sources.
Here is my example.

cd $FORREST_HOME/site-author
find content/xdocs -name "*.xml" | xargs grep "<version>"
....../your-project.xml

Similarly a search for "<subtitle".

Note that we do not use the "author" tag in our
documentation as that has no meaning in the context
of collaborative communities. Attribution is done
in different ways.

Don't forget that the example "forrest seed" site
has many sample documents.

Also there is good recent discussion in our mail archives
about automating the use of "version" to diplay source control
revision numbers an dates. Not sure how you will find it
(i tried a quick search). The "user" list, IIRC.
Anyway, that discussion led to an FAQ:
http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#CVS_revison_tags

Someone should add the missing examples to the main "document-v20"
sample doc. If you can manage a patch that would be great,
otherwise perhaps one of the committers will do so.

I added an issue to remind us:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1062

-David