forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unreleased Coccon Code in Forrest 0.8
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 22:33:19 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 10:49 +0100, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>> An Apache colleague looking at Forrest 0.8 just noticed that
>> we have used unreleased Cocoon Code in our release and told
>> me that this is not longer permitted.
>
> Can this colleague point out the board note or any other resource that
> is stating this. It strikes me odd since we are talking about open
> source whether released or not. Meaning for me I/we can include what we
> want if it is compatible with our license.

I agree. This just feels wrong and I do not recall seeing any resolution
supporting this view.

There is nothing (legally speaking) to stop us taking the code from
Cocoon SVN, adding it to our own SVN and releasing it as Forrest code.
Of course forking Cocoon in this way would be bad from a community point
of view. Having a release restriction forcing us to do this would be
contrary to the Apache approach to software development.

Unless I see some documented evidence of this restriction I have no
problem with continuing with our me of a 2.2 snapshot. if I see such
documentation then I will certainly be questioning the bogie behind it.

If we need to take any action it is to ensure we make it dear we are
using a tested snapshot of Cocoon 2.2 but that this tenting is confined
to its are in a standard Forrest install.

Ross

Ross